For seven years, Buffy Summers and the residents of Sunnydale provided us with magic, action, romance, laughter, and a Whedonesque lexicon that informed the way a generation speaks. Alongside the witty comebacks and creative one-liners, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is also laced with poignant moments complete with statements of wisdom, love, questioning, and heartache. Many characters, from Anya to Whistler, have shining moments made possible by glowing dialog that breathed life into the show. Here are thirteen quotes straight from the Hellmouth that we will never forget.
1. “There’s moments in your life that make you. That set the course of who you’re gonna be. Sometimes, they’re little, subtle moments. Sometimes, they’re not. Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you’re not ready for the big moments. No one asks for their life to change. Not really. But it does. So what are we? Helpless? Puppets? No. The big moments are gonna come. You can’t help that. It’s what you do afterwards that counts. That’s when you find out who you are.” Whistler, Becoming Part I
2. “I love you. I will always love you. But this is the work that I have to do. Tell Giles… tell Giles I figured it out. And, and I’m okay. And give my love to my friends. You have to take care of them now. You have to take care of each other. You have to be strong. Dawn, the hardest thing in this world is to live in it. Be brave. Live… for me.” Buffy, The Gift
4. “Passion. It lies in all of us. Sleeping… waiting… and though unwanted, unbidden, it will stir… open its jaws and howl. It speaks to us… guides us. Passion rules us all. And we obey. What other choice do we have? Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love… the clarity of hatred… the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion, maybe we’d know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank. Without passion, we’d be truly dead.” Angelus, Passion
5. “Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you’re not ready for the big moments. No one asks for their life to change, not really. But it does. So, what are we, helpless? Puppets? Nah. The big moments are gonna come, you can’t help that. It’s what you do afterwards that count. That’s when you find out who you are.” Whistler, Becoming Part I
6. “Seize the moment, ‘cause tomorrow you might be dead.” Buffy, Welcome to the HellmouthWelcome to the Hellmouth
7. “I look around at this world you’re so eager to be a part of and all I see is six billion lunatics looking for the fastest ride out. Who’s not crazy? Look around, everyone’s drinking, smoking, shooting up, shooting each other, or just plain screwing their brains out ’cause they don’t want ’em anymore. I’m crazy? Honey, I’m the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, ’cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.” Glory, The Weight of the World
8. “But I don’t understand! I don’t understand how this all happens. How we go through this. I knew her, and then she’s— there’s just a body, and I don’t understand why she just can’t get back in it and not be dead… anymore! It’s stupid! It’s mortal and stupid! And… and Xander’s crying and not talking, and… and I was having fruit punch, and I thought, well, Joyce will never have any more fruit punch, ever, and she’ll never have eggs, or yawn, or brush her hair, not ever, and no one will explain to me why!” Anya, The Body
10. “I guess I just realized how amazingly screwed up [humans] all are. I mean, really, really screwed up, in a monumental fashion. And they have no purpose that unites them so they just drift around, blundering through life until they die… which they… they know is coming, yet every single one of them is surprised when it happens to them. They’re incapable of thinking about what they want beyond the moment. They kill each other, which is clearly insane. And yet, here’s the thing – when it’s something that really matters, they fight. I mean, they’re lame morons for fighting, but they do. They never, never quit. So I guess I will keep fighting too.” Anya, End of Days
11. “When I say ‘I love you,’ it’s not because I want you or because I can’t have you. It has nothing to do with me. I love what you are, what you do, how you try. I’ve seen your kindness and your strength. I’ve seen the best and worst of you. And I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are. You’re a hell of a woman. You’re the one, Buffy.” Spike, Touched
12. “But I can’t help thinking, isn’t that where the fire comes from? Can a nice, safe relationship be that intense? I know it’s nuts, but part of me believes that real love and passion have to go hand in hand with pain and fighting. [Stakes a vampire] I wonder where I get that from?” Buffy, Something Blue
13. “Okay, I’m cookie dough. I’m not done baking. I’m not finished becoming whatever the hell it is I’m gonna turn out to be. I make it through this, and the next thing, and the next thing, and… maybe one day I turn around and realize I’m ready. I’m cookies. And then, you know, if I want someone to eat— or enjoy warm, delicious cookie me, then, that’s fine. That’ll be then. When I’m done.” Buffy, Chosen
Which Buffy the Vampire Slayer character left a lasting impression on you?0 Votes
Superhero fanboy geeking out over mutants, vampire slayers, movies, TV, music scores, and comic books.