With the exception of a courtesy of , the worlds of Harry Potter and Game of Thrones feel as though they couldn’t be further apart. That is, of course, until you discover that a whole bunch of Westeros dwellers once resided on the other side of Platform 9 3/4.
1. Michelle Fairley (a.k.a Game of Thrones‘s Catelyn Stark) appeared briefly in Harry Potter as Hermione’s mother in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!
2. Natalia Tena kicked ass as both Nymphadora Tonks in the Harry Potter franchise and as Osha on Game of Thrones. That is, until she was murdered by Ramsay Bolton 🙁
3. David Bradley went from bad to worse. After playing the often cruel Squib, Argus Filch, he was the on Game of Thrones.
Wonder if anyone would’ve dared to stick Mrs. Norris in a tasty pie for him back then?
4. Ciarán Hinds appeared in the final Harry Potter movie as Dumbledore’s brother, Aberforth, though eagle-eyed fans may have spotted him as the King Beyond the Wall, Mance Rayder in GoT.
5. In Game of Thrones, Samwell Tarly’s younger brother Dickon was played by Freddie Stroma, yet in HP he busied himself pestering Hermione at Professor Slughorn’s Christmas party as Cormac McLaggen.
6. The white beardy tufts around the chops of Harry Potter’s giant spider Aragog might be the only indication that the voice actor hiding behind the scenes is non other than GoT‘s Grand Maester Pycelle.
7. The body shots for half-giantess Madame Olympe Maxime in Harry Potter were filmed by the actor Ian Whyte, who’s had a number of roles on Game of Thrones, including as a White Walker, the Mountain in Season 2 and Wun Wun the giant!
8. Bob the box-holding Wizard in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was played by actor Nicholas Blane, who also starred in GoT as the Spice King of Qarth.
9. Before Night’s Watch member Will was offed by Ned Stark for being a deserter in Season 1, he was repping Slytherin House as one of Malfoy’s friends in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
10. From one evil to the next. After Ralph Ineson played the Death Eater Amycus Carrow in three Potter movies, he moved on to become one of House of Greyjoy’s deviants, Dagmer Cleftjaw.
The more you know, eh?
Harry Potter vs. Game of Thrones — you decide.
Staff Writer at MP. Lover of bad puns, nostalgic feels and all things Winona.