Well, it’s officially happening! We’re finally getting the follow-up to the Hey Arnold! story that we’ve been waiting for since 2004. In honor of heading back into production, let’s look back at 10 pieces of cool trivia you might not have known about Hey Arnold!
1. Hey Arnold was the first Nickelodeon cartoon to use real child actors to voice its characters! Look how hot one of the Arnold actors, , is now!
A photo posted by Lane Toran (@lane_toran) on
2. It was originally a claymation short that aired on Sesame Street
3. Arnold and his friends live in a city that’s actually based on a bunch of different places, including: Seattle, Portland, Brooklyn, Nashville, and Allentown, PA
4. Before Nickelodeon decided to go ahead and air Hey Arnold, they showed one episode in front of a viewing of Harriet The Spy, Nickelodeon’s first feature-length movie
5. The character Nocturnal Ned, the radio DJ, is based on the creator of Hey Arnold, Craig Bartlett
6. Craig Bartlett is married to Lisa Groening, the sister of Matt Groening, who created The Simpsons
7. All the girl characters in the show are based on actual girls that the creator, Craig Bartlett, knew when he was a kid
8. Mr. Simmons, the teacher, is actually gay, making him one of the first LGBT characters in a kids’ cartoon. In the episode ‘Thanksgiving,’ Peter is meant to be his boyfriend
9. Hey Arnold! The Movie was originally supposed to air as four different episodes on TV, and is still technically part of the last season
10. We still don’t know what happened to Arnold’s parents, other than the fact that they were explorers who got lost. Sounds like this could be the plot of the Hey Arnold: Jungle Movie, due out in 2017!
What’s your favorite thing about Hey Arnold?
Love Hey Arnold and ’90s Nickelodeon?
Nostalgia never gets old. Find me on Twitter @gen_vanvee