This is honestly my first attempt at writing a blog so bear with me. I’m going to be telling the story of my adventures with horror make-up, how I started out, where I made mistakes, and what I can do now. I’ll be writing tutorials, tips and common struggles.
It all started with Game of Thrones, I (like 90% of the world) am a huge fan. I was watching it one night and for some strange reason got into my head that I needed to turn myself into a white walker. So I dug out some white foundation, a black pencil eyeliner, some PVA glue, cotton wool and talcum powder and came up with this.
It didn’t go too terribly for a first attempt considering what I had to work with, but it certainly isn’t my best piece to date… I was proud, and I was hooked.
From there I was constantly looking up special effects online; finding out what I would need to recreate what I saw and diving into it. Enthusiastic doesn’t even begin to describe it, and I’ll admit I got in way over my head sometimes. Looking back, I was pretty awful, but nothing could stop me.
The scariest thing is, I was really proud of these. My poor family and friends were inundated with pictures on Facebook, of which I was sure were Oscar worthy pieces of art, and they were nice enough to encourage me to carry on (I’m not sure why…).
Anyway, this was 9 months ago and I have since progressed into something which (I hope!) is a bit more realistic to see. I know I still have a lot to learn and a long way to go but hopefully I’ll get there one day and fingers crossed I can show you a few things here along the way. Thankfully I’ve stopped coating myself in latex of a night (mostly use wax now!) and my wounds are a bit less terrible.
This wound is just wax, and while it needs more blending, it took me a lot less time than the latex atrocity up there.
This is a surprisingly simple, but effective technique, if you’re nice I might show you how it’s done one day!
A large limb wound, very fun to do, takes a bit of practice to get the blending right but once you’ve got it down it’s guaranteed to turn heads. There can be a few struggles with this being on a very active part of the body as the wax can be prone to cracking. On a bright note, that’s easily fixed!
And a lovely little hand wound to finish off, this one was fun as I’ve recently discovered the wonders of alcohol based paints and the joys of how nicely they can blend. I’m still learning with them but they allowed me to create the infected appearence of this one.
Anyway, thats me, if you’d like to see more here’s my , let me know in the comments what you’d like to see and I’ll try and do it for you!! Bear with me, I’m still learning!